The UKGSF targets support across the screen sector, including film, TV , documentary, animation and interactive narrative games content.
Financed by the UK government’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and administered by the BFI , the UKGSF is focused on accelerating export growth and deepening international relationships with the UK . Aimed at boosting the international competitiveness of UK screen content whilst growing the revenues, reach and partnerships of domestic independent businesses, the fund is constructed to help develop and produce projects with international appeal, support the worldwide distribution of UK content, and encourage collaboration with international partners.
What the fund supports
The UKGSF allocates funding to three open access strands:
- International Distribution: support for sales and distribution of one or more UK feature films (drama, documentary, animation) in international territories
- International Business Development: financial support for business strategies that drive international growth and IP development for companies working in film, TV (animation, drama and documentary) and interactive narrative gaming
- International Co-production: support for UK companies to be partners in international productions, sharing IP and revenue on TV (animation and documentary) and film projects with audience potential
Alongside financial support for UK screen businesses, the UKGSF has launched a new consumer brand, ScreenUK , to showcase and celebrate UK screen content internationally. Launched in late 2021, the ScreenUK campaign aims to promote and reposition film, TV , animation, and video games to audiences around the world, reflecting the extraordinary quality and diversity of screen content coming from the UK .
Further UKGSF investment will support research into a new data hub, exploring the possibility of providing international data that can allow financiers, screen content creators, sales agents and distributors to make better-informed decisions, enhancing global opportunities.
UK Global Screen Fund: International Business Development
Supporting UK screen content businesses across film, TV, animation and interactive narrative video games to enhance their international activities.Find out more
UK Global Screen Fund: International Co-production strand
Supporting UK producers to work as partners on international co-productions and help create new global projects.Find out more
UK Global Screen Fund: International Distribution Film Sales Support
Supporting UK sales agents to increase their international promotion and sales of live action and animated, fiction and documentary UK feature film projects.Find out more
UK Global Screen Fund: International Distribution Prints and Advertising (P&A) Support
Supporting UK films to reach international audiences.Find out more
Who can apply
The UKGSF is open to independent screen sector companies registered and centrally managed in the UK .
The fund is intended to support independent companies across the UK , ensuring a UK -wide benefit and addressing geographic imbalance within the industry. Consideration will be given to where companies are based, where projects are made and how projects reflect the culture and talent of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the English regions outside Greater London.
Eligible screen content varies according to the type of support being applied for. Across the UKGSF supported content includes feature-length and episodic fiction, documentary and animated content for film and television as well as interactive digital projects with narrative content.
What happens next
- International Business Development – this strand is open for applications from Thursday 21 July 2022 until the deadline on Thursday 13 October 2022
- International Co-production – this strand is open for applications from Tuesday 7 February 2023 until the deadline on Tuesday 4 April 2023
- International Distribution Film Sales Support – this strand is open for applications
- International Distribution P&A Support – this strand is open for applications from Thursday 20 October 2022 until the deadline on Thursday 5 January 2023
How to contact us
For any questions relating to the UK Global Screen Fund, or to be added to our email distribution list to receive news and updates about the fund, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Awards and evaluation
UK Global Screen Fund international audience insights, market data and demand for British content reports
Access international market intelligence reports and territory-level audience perception insights summaries, and review data prepared by Parrot Analytics relating to international demand for UK series, film and talent.Find out more